[FPSPACE] Is Russian "project SIRIUS" real or a scam?

JAMES E OBERG jameseoberg at comcast.net
Thu Sep 20 09:58:11 EDT 2018

 A young friend of mine in India received this message from Moscow. Is it a genuine project or perhaps another scam to trick money from space enthusiasts?

Dear friend, Thank you for your interest in the project SIRIUS. Currently, we are actively working on formation of the crew for the first 4-month mission. You are considered as a candidate for 4, 8 and 12 month experiments. We will be glad to see you in the experiment, but we would like to bring to your attention that IBMP can only guarantee the accommodation and meals of volunteers during the week prior to isolation, during the experiment, and within ten days after the completion of the experiment. Additional reward for participation in the experiment or accommodation and meals for additional time in Russia is not provided, since it contradicts Russian law. To compensate possible expenses, we recommend you to apply for financial support to possible interested organizations of your country. If no additional compensation is required, we will be glad to see you as a volunteer in SIRIUS project.
As we plan to form the final crew for a 4-month mission until October 15, please, give an answer regarding your participation in the project no later than October 10, 2018. Best regards, Daria Komissarova, Scientific Committee of SIRIUS-18/19 project