[FPSPACE] Twitter Rogozin is "Back At It," Again

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Tue Sep 4 14:17:11 EDT 2018

Well.

When there are recent mass protests inside Russia against the raising of the
retirement age for both men and women, this seemingly over-the-top story
appears.. Shift some of that ire elsewhere, it seems to me..get those
top-of-the-news reports to talk about something else..

Dmitry "Twitter" Rogozin has now made an official comment that the hole
found in the Soyuz may have been the result of sabotage, and there appeared
to be several attempts at drilling a hole.  As he stated, ".there is another
version that we do not rule out: deliberate interference in space."  He even
stated that the hole looks to have been made by "a wavering hand".. Perhaps
meaning someone who doesn't have strong, manly wrists..

And there is a woman on board expedition 56, is there not?

As we all know, Russian space management persons consider women bad luck on
space missions, and this goes back to Mir occupations at the minimum (See
this for more background:  From Aelita to the International Space Station:
the psychological and social effects of isolation on Earth and in space.
Quest: the history of spaceflight qrtrly 8(2):4-23, 2000.)

But Rogozin himself originally said that the hole was the product of a
meteorite impact.  So what gives?

This doesn't smell right.  Not at all.

Here's the entire news report.

>From phys.org

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-russia-space-station-leak-deliberate.html

Russia says space station leak could be deliberate sabotage

September 4, 2018

Russia launched checks Tuesday after its space chief said an air leak on the
International Space Station last week could have been deliberate sabotage.

Space agency chief Dmitry Rogozin said the hole detected Thursday in a
Russian space craft docked at the orbiting station was caused by a drill and
could have been done deliberately, either back on Earth or by astronauts in
space.

Astronauts used tape to seal the leak after it caused a small loss of
pressure that was not life-threatening.

"There were several attempts at drilling," Rogozin said late Monday in
televised comments.

He added that the drill appeared to have been held by a "wavering hand."

"What is this: a production defect or some premeditated actions?" he asked.

"We are checking the Earth version. But there is another version that we do
not rule out: deliberate interference in space."

A commission will seek to identify the culprit by name, Rogozin said,
calling this a "matter of honour" for Russia's Energiya space manufacturing
company that made the Soyuz.

'Not a meteorite'

Previously Rogozin had said the hole in the side of the Soyuz ship used to
ferry astronauts was most likely caused from outside by a tiny meteorite.

"We have already ruled out the meteorite version," Rogozin said late Monday.

A Russian MP who is a former cosmonaut suggested that a psychologically
disturbed astronaut could have done it to force an early return home.

"We're all human, and anyone might want to go home, but this method is
really low," Maxim Surayev of President Vladimir Putin's ruling party, told
RIA Novosti state news agency,

"If a cosmonaut pulled this strange stunt-and that can't ruled out- it's
really bad," said Surayev, who spent two stints on the ISS.

"I wish to God that this is a production defect, although that's very sad,
too-there's been nothing like this in the history of Soyuz ships."

The hole is in a section of the Soyuz ship that will not be used to carry
astronauts back to Earth.

A space industry source told TASS state news agency that the spacecraft
could have been damaged during testing at Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan
after passing initial checks and the mistake was then hastily covered up.

"Someone messed up and then got scared and sealed up the hole," the source
speculated, but then the sealant "dried up and fell off" when the Soyuz
reached the ISS.

Energiya will carry out checks for possible defects on all Soyuz ships and
Progress unmanned ships used for cargo at its production site outside Moscow
and at Baikonur cosmodrome, RIA Novosti reported Tuesday, citing a space
industry source.

The ISS is one of the few areas of Russia-US cooperation that remains
unaffected by the slump in relations between the countries and Washington's
sanctions.

Russia's rockets used for launching spacecraft and satellites have suffered
engine problems.

Currently on the ISS are two cosmonauts from Russia and three NASA
astronauts as well as one German astronaut from the European Space Agency.

Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2018-09-russia-space-station-leak-deliberate.html#jCp

---
https://www.avg.com