[FPSPACE] Article on film "First Man"

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Sun Sep 2 14:19:12 EDT 2018

>From the Washington Post newspaper

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/09/02/why
-neil-armstrongs-sons-dont-think-the-biopic-first-man-is-anti-american/?utm_
term=.927c3e2b376e

My personal point of view is that Ted Cruz and his drivel-y extremist ilk
should be voted out of office (hopefully this November), and that Trump
World will end (hopefully quite soon), and so this nonsense of fake outrage
(of which examples are legion) can dissipate into the ether.  It is
universally known that the astronauts on all the Moon landing missions
planted a US flag, including Apollo 11.

Additionally, all the spacesuits carried on their upper left(?) arms near
the shoulder the US flag emblem.  Additionally, on the uppermost part of the
PLSS module on the astronaut's backs also had the US flag emblem. That will
show up in this film, if they did the suits right.  (Truth in advertising:
I had to look this up to be certain in my 1969 edition of the volume "Man
and Space" written by Arthur C. Clarke.)

Also, this film is a dramatic presentation, not a documentary.

Why Neil Armstrong's sons don't think the biopic 'First Man' is
anti-American

By Alex Horton
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/alex-horton/?utm_term=.c77831808f32>

September 2 at 1:38 PM

Ryan Gosling is not an American, but he is part of a species that visited a
celestial body beyond Earth.

That is one perspective the Canadian used in describing the Apollo 11
mission, and specifically Neil Armstrong, whom he plays in the upcoming film
"First Man."

It depicts the 1969 mission to land men on the moon and return them safely.
But the film does not show Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin unfurling and planting
an American flag on the lunar surface. And its creators, including Gosling,
say they view the moment as a human achievement more than an American one,
and have suggested Armstrong did not believe he was an "American hero."

"From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite
the opposite," Gosling said, according to Britain's Telegraph newspaper.
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/08/29/first-man-neil-armstrong-film-
fails-fly-flag-us-patriotism/>  "And we wanted the film to reflect Neil."

Predictably, the Canadian actor's comments, paired with the omission of the
Stars and Stripes, have sparked outrage, particularly in American
conservative circles. The criticism, in turn, has prompted Armstrong's sons
to defend the film's depiction of events and its attention to quieter,
lesser-known aspects of their father's life.

"This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an
America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement 'for all mankind,' as
it says on the plaque Neil and Buzz left on the moon," according to a
statement released Friday by Rick and Mark Armstrong.

The statement was also attributed to "First Man" biographer James R. Hansen,
according
<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/neil-armstrongs-sons-fire-back-first
-man-isnt-anti-american-1139081>  to Hollywood Reporter.

[John McCain: How Neil Armstrong inspired a POW
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/john-mccain-how-neil-armstrong-insp
ired-a-pow/2012/09/13/5bd707e2-fdc0-11e1-b153-218509a954e1_story.html?utm_te
rm=.4dc1207ac735> ]

"It is a story about an ordinary man who makes profound sacrifices and
suffers through intense loss in order to achieve the impossible," the men
said. Their father died in 2012.

Some conservative figures have taken Gosling's Telegraph
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/08/29/first-man-neil-armstrong-film-
fails-fly-flag-us-patriotism/>  interview as proof of Hollywood globalism
run amok
<https://www.dailywire.com/news/35314/hollywood-just-cut-flag-out-moon-landi
ng-heres-why-ben-shapiro> , and an outcropping of the ongoing controversy
over NFL players kneeling during the national anthem to protest police
killing of black citizens.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) weighed in Saturday among conservatives propelling
social media calls
<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23boycottfirstman&src=typd>  for boycotts of
the film.

"Really sad: Hollywood erases American flag from moon landing. This is
wrong, and consistent with Leftists' disrespecting the flag & denying
American exceptionalism," Cruz, who is in an unexpectedly tight reelection
race
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-demand-from-texas-voters-in-the-e
ra-of-trump-compassion/2018/08/30/f26cc678-a077-11e8-83d2-70203b8d7b44_story
.html?utm_term=.5c48c741c175> , wrote on Twitter. "JFK saw that it mattered
that America go to the moon - why can't Hollywood see that today?"

"Fox & Friends," a Fox News program favored by President Trump, discussed
<http://video.foxnews.com/v/5829387172001/?#sp=show-clips>  the issue
Friday.

Co-host Pete Hegseth simply called Gosling "an idiot."

Ainsley Earhardt, his co-host, grimly assessed the social implications.

"This is where our country is going. They don't think America is great," she
said. "They want to kneel for the flag." Later in the day, #BoycottFirstMan
was trending on social media.

Chuck Yeager, the legendary American pilot who was the first to break the
sound barrier, called
<https://twitter.com/GenChuckYeager/status/1035554228419289093>  leaving out
the flag-planting "more Hollywood make-believe."

Director Damien Chazelle, who also helmed "La La Land" and "Whiplash," has
echoed the sentiments of the Armstrong brothers on the selective
storytelling.

"I wanted the primary focus in that scene to be on Neil's solitary moments
on the moon - his point of view as he first exited the [Lunar Module], his
time spent at Little West Crater, the memories that may have crossed his
mind during his lunar [exploration]," he said in a statement Friday,
according to Hollywood Reporter.

The film, which debuted this past week at the Venice Film Festival, will
arrive stateside Oct. 12, and have plenty of American flags waving
throughout.

"First Man" does not show the flag planting, but there are several shots of
the U.S. flag on the moon, Daily Beast writer Marlow Stern said
<https://www.thedailybeast.com/marco-rubios-boneheaded-attack-on-ryan-goslin
gs-neil-armstrong-movie-first-man>  after attending the screening.

Ironically, the controversy may endure longer than the flag itself: Aldrin
told controllers he saw the flag knocked over with a blast of spacecraft
exhaust, NASA has said <https://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/flag/flag.htm> .

The flag really wasn't designed to endure the blastoff, let alone the lunar
environment, or lack thereof. It was purchased from a Sears store for $5.50,
NASA said. Department-store flags cannot even withstand terrestrial wear and
tear, like sunlight and wind, for more than a few years.

On the moon, decades of extreme temperatures, ultraviolet radiation and
micrometeorites have probably disintegrated the flag entirely, scientists
say <https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ApolloFlags-Condition.html> , and the
bombardment of unfiltered sunlight has probably bleached flags left on
subsequent missions stark white.

Even the original flag planting was controversial. Debate raged over whether
to raise an American flag or a banner of the United Nations. Congress forbid
NASA from placing flags of other countries or international bodies on the
moon during U.S.-funded missions, the agency said
<https://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/flag/flag.htm> .

"In the end, it was decided by Congress that this was a United States
project. We were not going to make any territorial claim, but we were to let
people know that we were here and put up a U.S. flag," Armstrong said,
according
<https://www.newsweek.com/neil-armstrong-biopic-ryan-gosling-1099012>  to
Newsweek. "My job was to get the flag there. I was less concerned about
whether that was the right artifact to place. I let other, wiser minds than
mine make those kinds of decisions."

---
https://www.avg.com