[FPSPACE] Studies in Intelligence article on fake news and how to discern

Mark Gibb mmegibb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 09:34:54 EDT 2018

 I have been in deep lurk on this email list for probably almost 2 decades.  And this absurd post by Pike makes me surface.
It is so absurd it makes me think it is satire.  If so, disregard the rest of my rant.
I live in the Houston area and I have had two kids go through an excellent public high school.  The school did, indeed, teach critical thinking.  The sciences were rigorous and a large number of advanced and AP courses are offered.  There is no creationism whatsoever.
This smug and sneering dismissal of "others" is disgusting and seems to be increasing as we separate into tribes.
Mark Gibb
    On Monday, April 16, 2018, 8:26:10 AM CDT, John Charles <jbcharle at gmail.com> wrote:

 I don’t know about any such ban. Plenty of critical thinkers in the space biz, academia, medicine, the oil bidness. Maybe he meant Kentucky with its state-supported Noah’s Ark?
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:45 AM Zeger Nuyens <dokter.nuyens at telenet.be> wrote:

> "critical thinking is a skill that can be taught like any other"
>
> yeah, but some states, such as Texas, have banned
> teaching "critical thinking" because of a well founded
> fear that it might lead folks to question Bishop Ussher's
> chronology of the Creation, setting them on the road
> to perdition

Wow,John is that a fact? Doesn't look too good!

Zeger

--
John Charles