[FPSPACE] Fwd: Re: The revived "Cosmos"

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 11:32:24 EDT 2018

My brother did his PhD thesis on the low energy part of the cosmic ray
spectrum that is blocked by the atmosphere.  He used the cosmic ray
damage to the lexan plastic in Jim Lovell's Apollo-8 helmet
https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow_xlg/public/images/collection-objects/record-images/A19700343001cp01.jpg?itok=8ioBY6s7,
Apollo-11 lunar samples
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_11/images/r_sample_lg.gif,
the Surveyor-3 lens filters brought back by the Apollo-12 mission
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/l/lmsurvey.jpg, and exposure samples
set out during the lunar stay time of Apollo-16
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16det17442.jpg and Apollo-17
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_17/images/crd_lg.gif.
He and his group attended a conference in Moscow about their work after
that.  While he was there he visited the Cosmos Pavilion which was full
of spacecraft models at the time.  By the time I got there in 2000, all
of that was gone except for a few models way at the back
http://old.themoscowtimes.com/upload/iblock/d7f/Filonov-VVC-Reconsr-82.jpg.
So, I am glad to see that the pavilion has been brought back and it
appears that it has an impressive set of displays.