[FPSPACE] correction/update

jameseoberg at comcast.net jameseoberg at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 17:21:13 EDT 2017

Except... except in late 1985 when NASA HQ
was campaigning to kill off all DoD expendables
that offered alternatives to shuttle. As ecplained
to me by Don Kutyna, congressman Nelson was
chosen to fly because his committee would decide
the fate of the DoD budget request for expendables,
and one key DoD objection to shuttle was not
meeting urgent launch schedules. Kutyna told me
that HQ made it clear to to shuttle operators that
on-time launches had become critical to NASA's
push to monopolize US govt transportation to orbit.