[FPSPACE] Fw: Re: 50th anniversary of the tragic death of cosmonaut Komarov

spacemannyc asid66 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 23:43:58 EDT 2017

Hi Grujica,
About the decision to launch Soyuz-1, you wrote:

>Kamanin was a single senior person in the Soviet space establishment >who was against Komarov’s flight before at least one successful test >mission of an unmanned Soyuz.
This is not true. Kamanin may privately have had reservations about the launch (as he expressed in his diaries) but he certainly never said anything publicly and fully voted in favor of the launch. Only three senior officials in the Soviet space program opposed the launch: A. G. Mrykin (from the Ministry of Machine Building), A. S. Kirillov (deputy commander of the launch range), and I. S. Prudnikov (a senior designer at TskBEM). But the votes in favor of the launch at each juncture before the launch were overwhelming in favor, among managers, designers, and military officers.

By the way, for those interested, my multi-part article on Soyuz-1 is based on the ground-to-air transcripts for the Soyuz-1 mission which, to my knowledge, have never been published before. A colleague of mine (Dr. Slava Gerovitch) and I were able to find them at the Russian State Archive of Scientific-Technical Documentation (RGANTD) in Moscow a few hours ago.

The first part of my article can be found here:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3226/1
Asif Siddiqi