[FPSPACE] Project Apollo cost? And getting to Mars with astronauts

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Mon Apr 24 23:59:50 EDT 2017

According to the "inflation calculator," the 2017 USD equivalent of $24
billion USD is:

$163,221,633,802.82  That would be $163 billion USD in 2017 dollars.  That's
a fantastic amount of money spent.

So even if Project Apollo was $24 billion USD in 1969 dollars (and not $10
billion), that definitely would not be a viable manned space program today,
from what I can see--if the Congress were asked to consistently fund a
nine-year or decade-long manned space project before achieving its goals.

I think the main reasons (to my mind) that Apollo was seen through to
completion is because both houses of Congress, as well as the President
(LBJ-through a major segment of the funding cycles) were Democrat, and were
deeply concerned about Soviet potentials of landing first (which would have
been a super propaganda coup of greatest magnitude, with unanticipated
ripple effects).  During the 1960s, science and fact-based discourse was
valued.

Indeed, I have seen newspaper reportage from 1965 where Republicans were
complaining about the amount of spending on Apollo (but not the Vietnam
conflict)-if memory serves, the reportage was in the New York Times.

I am glad that the Democrats far outnumbered the Republicans in Congress at
that time.

  _____