[FPSPACE] Slooh: Watch Live Stream as Massive Asteroid Makes Close Approach to Earth

Nick Watkins nickwatkins62 at fastmail.com
Tue Apr 18 12:44:46 EDT 2017

This thread made me go back and look for the study done by catastrophe
modelling company RMS on a Tunguska event over NY. Not online anymore,
but an interesting blog post still is:

http://www.rms.com/blog/2013/02/28/two-asteroids-made-close-encounters-with-earth/

--

Nick Watkins

nickwatkins62 at physics.org

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017, at 04:26 PM, David Portree wrote:

> I dislike the hyperbole. "Massive," "incredible," "alarming" - a rock
> this size (and there's no certainty that it is a single rock) could go
> unnoticed if its orbit intersected Earth. I use the word
> "intersected," because intersecting Earth is not the same as
> "striking." Depending on many factors, a 1-km asteroid that
> intersected Earth could go unnoticed, though admittedly that's not as
> likely now as it was a century ago. Even if it broke apart high in the
> atmosphere and fell as a rain of 10-100-meter rocks in the far
> southern Indian Ocean, for example, sensitive instruments in place
> around the world would detect it.
>

> What is it about asteroids and hype?

> I wrote something about asteroid reality a few years ago during one of
> these hyped-up asteroid flybys. You might find it interesting. I
> discuss in some detail the effects of a 325-meter NEA. They fall
> within the range of the kinds of catastrophes humans experience with
> some regularity.
>

> http://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2015/05/fun-with-killer-asteroids.html
>

> Asteroids are fascinating, not frightening. People who claim to be
> STEM educators should know better than to hype them as monsters.
> Myself, I'm eager to get some radar images.
>

> dsfp

> David S. F. Portree

>  Email:

> dsfportree at hotmail.com

> Blog:

> http://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/

> *From:* FPSPACE <fpspace-bounces at mail.friends-partners.org> on behalf
> of LARRY KLAES <ljk4 at msn.com> *Sent:* Monday, April 17, 2017 7:43 AM
> *To:* fpspace2 *Subject:* [FPSPACE] Fw: Slooh: Watch Live Stream as
> Massive Asteroid Makes Close Approach to Earth
>

> Sent from Outlook[1]

Links:

  1. http://aka.ms/weboutlook