[FPSPACE] Last Bits of 2015 Pluto Flyby Data Received on Earth

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Fri Oct 28 19:29:57 EDT 2016

Folks,

If you really want to see how far we have come, take a look at
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4368314810_b4d271a00b_o.jpg .   This
is an IBM Model 350 disk drive weighing over a ton being loaded onto a
Pan Am aircraft with a fork lift back in 1956.  It contained fifty 24
inch RAM disks containing a grand total of 3.75 MB (5 million 6-bit
characters) and could be leased for $3200 per month.  I have a little 8
GB thumb drive (some go up to 128 GB) that I occasionally use, just for
comparison.  How times have changed.

Dave