[FPSPACE] op-ed on Hillary Clinton's stance on space exploration and aspirational plans

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Tue Oct 25 23:28:53 EDT 2016

http://spacenews.com/op-ed-hillary-will-expand-our-space-potential/?utm_cont
ent=bufferba422
<http://spacenews.com/op-ed-hillary-will-expand-our-space-potential/?utm_con
tent=bufferba422&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffe
r> &utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Op-ed | Hillary will expand our space potential

by  <http://spacenews.com/author/jim-kohlenberger/> Jim Kohlenberger -
October 25, 2016

We are fortunate to be entering a dynamic new era in space - one that will
enable us to explore new worlds, expand our scientific knowledge, push the
frontiers of technological innovation, and achieve our boldest aspirations
in space. This forward trajectory has been fueled by pragmatic policies that
have brought together our brightest minds, and newest technologies, to forge
new frontiers. As president, Secretary Clinton will not only build on our
progress in space, but will advance inspirational, achievable, and
affordable space initiatives.

While her opponent compares the world's most capable space program to that
of a "third world nation," Secretary Clinton knows better. She will advance
American ideals with a program that balances space science, technology, and
exploration; protects our security through Earth systems monitoring; and
maximizes the impact of our space program by promoting stronger coordination
across federal agencies, cooperation with industry, and collaboration with
the international community.

Secretary Clinton understands that to ensure continued U.S leadership in
space, it is critical that NASA have the resources and predictable funding
necessary to achieve its goals and missions. As president, she will support
the key public investments that help drive advances in science and
technology, both in space science and in Earth science, and deepen support
for strong public-private partnerships that create jobs and improve lives
throughout our country and around the world. Further, her administration
will work with Congress to ensure that NASA has the right leadership and
funding. And, to solve problems more effectively and expeditiously, she will
elevate executive branch coordination of federal agency space initiatives
and accelerate the development of advanced new technologies - multiplying
what we can achieve in space and providing taxpayers even more bang for
their buck.

By contrast, Donald Trump says that while "space is terrific," filling
potholes is more important. He's called the important work that NASA
scientists are doing on climate "a hoax." And his advisers have advanced the
idea of cutting NASA's vital earth science efforts, leaving other agencies
to take on the important work they dismiss as "Earth-centric." That is more
than shortsighted-it would actually endanger NASA's space exploration
mission. Our nation's space launch facilities, including those at Wallops
Island and Cape Canaveral, are extremely vulnerable to sea level rise and
storm surge. For instance, Hurricane Sandy sliced away about 700 feet of
protective berm and 20 percent of the beach that protects more than $1
billion in NASA assets on Wallops Island. And while the facilities at Cape
Canaveral thankfully escaped serious damage from Hurricane Matthew this
year, the strongest parts of the storm passed only 25 miles offshore.

But Secretary Clinton understands that both NASA's space exploration and
Earth observation programs serve to educate, inspire, and advance scientific
understanding. And, she knows that climate change is an urgent threat. As
our planet warms, melting ice sheets, altering ocean chemistry, and
affecting the lives of every person, NASA and NOAA's low-earth orbit and
Earth observation programs are invaluable in furthering our understanding of
what those changes mean for everything from the safety of coastal
communities to global weather patterns. But there is still much we don't
understand, including how vastly increased amounts of carbon dioxide in our
atmosphere, oceans, and landscapes may alter the natural carbon cycle in
years to come.

To effectively counter the threat of climate change, Secretary Clinton's
administration will carry out combined domestic efforts to increase and
strengthen our clean energy infrastructure, slash carbon pollution and other
greenhouse gas emissions, and empower agencies like NASA to work with NOAA
and other federal science agencies, colleges and universities, the private
sector, and the global community.

The global opportunities in space are ever present. While President Kennedy
set NASA on a course to win the race against Russia to get to the moon,
today, human spaceflight is a global endeavor, with astronauts and
cosmonauts living and working together on the International Space Station
(ISS). Secretary Clinton is committed to a robust space exploration program
that continues our presence on and commitment to the ISS, enables and
promotes American commercial space leadership, pursues bold missions into
deep space, and supports NASA's commercial crew program. President Obama
challenged NASA and the private sector to seek a bigger vision, and take
bolder action on space - and as a result we are already seeing incredible
progress. Private companies are now bringing cargo, and soon crew, to the
ISS. We are reaching further into the solar system than ever before. And
because of strategic investments in the future, we are regaining a leading
share of the global launch market for the first time in years.

Secretary Clinton knows that, just like taking on challenges here on Earth,
the strongest way to explore and utilize space is by doing so together.
Under her leadership, we will have a stronger space program together in
partnership with American industry and the international community.

As a young girl, Hillary was so inspired by America's space leadership that
she wrote to NASA about becoming an astronaut herself. As president, Hillary
will inspire the next generation of American girls and boys and help ensure
that we have a space program that propels us to new frontiers and advances
our human aspirations where the sky is no longer the limit.