[FPSPACE] Clinton's space policy

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Fri Oct 21 10:00:37 EDT 2016

Zeger is correct; LBJ was the only US president to have a long-term
commitment to space.

  Reading through the Space Daily (complements to them for putting the
questions), Trump says nothing except that he will consider his options
after he wins. Hilary's speech-writing team at least make an effort to woo
the space vote (miniscule outside Brevard country :), but a political
scientist can't help noting that they make not one quantified or concrete
promise!

  eg, a pledge to negotiate with the House & Senate for the principle that
spending on NASA & Astronomy should never drop below 1% of the Federal
budget. Such a wording still gives the White House the escape hatch "I
tried, but the Hill refused" etc.

   On the upbeat side, let us space fans take some solace in these four
facts:

1. NASA's budget remains bigger than the combined space exploration budgets
of the rest of the world.

2. Russia spends a higher % of its GDP on space than any other nation in
the world. Is it also the highest per capita expenditure?

3. China appears to have permanent commitment to incremental growth in its
astronautics & astronomy budgets.

4. India appears to have permanent commitment to incremental growth in its
astronautics & astronomy budgets.

- yours, Keith.