[FPSPACE] What Mars Maps Got Right (and Wrong) Through Time

Nick Watkins NickWatkins at mykolab.com
Thu Oct 20 12:46:46 EDT 2016

I actually have both. The former was the one I bought and it was eventually
lost (I had over-eagerly drawn Martian landing sites on it in pen and then
felt somewhat embarrassed in my late teens), so I bought a mint copy a
couple of years ago on ebay.

I saw the latter in our local library as a kid, but picked up the NG issue
many years later. I also have Peter Ryan's book "Exploring the Planets"
written with Pesek and from the UK Puffin Explorer series. It was being
finished just before Mariner 9 arrived,  I think, so exists in a kind of
Schrodinger cat state between the bleak cratered Mariner 4 Mars and the
richer one we have since come to know.