[FPSPACE] China sending messages to aliens

Keel, William keel at ua.edu
Mon Oct 17 09:28:04 EDT 2016

On Oct 17, 2016, at 8:11 AM, Brian Harvey <brharvey at eircom.net<mailto:brharvey at eircom.net>> wrote:

Does it matter who or which country sends the message?

This is an interesting philosophical question, I don’t remember this issue being raised before.

This has been discussed in SETI circles for a long time. The working protocols, seen for example at
http://www.seti.org/post-detection.html
declare in part:

"No response to a signal or other evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence should be sent until appropriate international consultations have taken place. The procedures for such consultations will be the subject of a separate agreement, declaration or arrangement.”

On the other hand, nothing about this is internationally binding anywhere, as far as I can tell (I don’t see that any
countries are actually parties to this declaration, maintained by the IAA).

Bill Keel

William C. Keel                                        205-348-1641 (office)
Professor, Physics and Astronomy      205-348-5051 (fax)
Box 870324                                              205-348-5050 (dept.)
University of Alabama                             http://astronomy.ua.edu/keel
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0324, U.S.A.    wkeel at ua.edu<mailto:wkeel at as.ua.edu>