[FPSPACE] Mars, here we come..

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 13:53:57 EDT 2016

John:

Good point. I wanted to focus on the idea of human reproduction in a new hypograv environment, which is why I described a little alternate history thing with Zika in the Americans in the 1500s-1600s. What you write makes me think about how eventually, as we developed an understanding of how disease spreads and kills, Europeans might have tried to settle the Americas again. Maybe it wouldn't have happened until the early 20th century.

Also, since Zika does harm by infecting women, one might see European males in the Americas marrying disease-resistant natives and producing something like the Franco-Indian Metis. Presumably they would use and promote European technology. When Europeans returned to the Americas, they'd likely find half-white natives with guns. Perhaps their numbers would not be great (akin to the French presence in North America).

I digress - sorry. Of course, marrying the locals isn't an option on Mars, and hypogravity wouldn't do sudden harm, like a gun. :-)

dsfp

David S. F. Portree

Email:

dsfportree at hotmail.com<mailto:dsfportree at hotmail.com>