[FPSPACE] Mars, here we come..

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 13:12:39 EDT 2016

Zeger:

ISS is a microgravity facility, not a hypogravity facility and it's hard to see how it might be adapted so that those on board it could experience 1/3 or 1/6 G for prolonged periods.

For quite a few years folks have discussed a variable-gravity research facility - a spinning artificial-gee station that could be spun at different rates to generate different levels of acceleration ("artificial gravity"). Skylab B was to have included an artificial-gravity experiment using tethers and its empty S-II stage, and there was some discussion - not much, mind you - of trying out different G values.

Probably the most visible call for a variable-G station was in Tom Paine's National Commission on Space report PIONEERING THE SPACE FRONTIER back in 1986.

The following isn't meant to be alarmist - only to help to focus the imagination. What if, when Europeans arrived in the Americas, Zika had been common and spread by air? The native population would have developed immunity long ago, but Europeans would have had none. Imagine that all European babies born in the Americas were afflicted with microencephaly. Settlement would fail and there would be much heartbreak. I could see something like that happening to the first Mars settlement. (Of course, hypogravity is not communicable - in the Zika case, Europe would probably have been decimated by infected people returning from the Americas.)

dsfp

David S. F. Portree

Email:

dsfportree at hotmail.com<mailto:dsfportree at hotmail.com>