[FPSPACE] First Russian use of word спутник to Describe Satellite

IVANOVICH Grujica (SW) grujica.ivanovich at ergon.com.au
Wed Jul 6 18:28:31 EDT 2016

Thanks Bart,

Not related to the roots of word “sputnik”, but a funny story from the early days of the first Sputnik.
Its original name in technical documentation was “Prosteyshiy sputnik” (“Simple Satellite”), or “PS”.
In the same time, Sergey Pavlovich Korolev “nickname” between his close associates in OKB-1 was “SP”, according his name and paternal name initials.
On one of the meetings about progress of works on the PS, one of the designers frequently mixed PS with SP.
Korolev corrected him saying: “I am not sputnik – this is PS and I am SP”.

Regards,
Grujica