[FPSPACE] First Russian use of word спутник to Describe Satellite

Bart Hendrickx bhen at telenet.be
Wed Jul 6 16:17:58 EDT 2016

The original meaning of the word in Russian was “co-traveller” and later it began to be used for natural satellites orbiting planets and eventually for artificial satellites. There is some discussion on the ethymology of the word on this Russian language forum :

http://russian.stackexchange.com/questions/2446/ <http://russian.stackexchange.com/questions/2446/Спутники-естественные-и-искусственные> Спутники-естественные-и-искусственные

“Sputnik” in the meaning “natural satellite” may have been introduced in the Russian language by the Russian scientist Mikhail Lomonosov in the 18th century. Lomonosov used the word in the translation of a German astronomical article in 1744.

“Sputnik” in the meaning “artificial satellite” was probably first used by Tsiolkovskiy. He uses the word in a book he wrote in 1911 and in a book written in 1923 he uses the combination “artificial satellite of the Earth” (iskusstvennyy sputnik zemli), which later became common in Russian, even before the beginning of the space age. “Iskusstvenny sputnik zemli” is also how the first satellite was referred to in the TASS launch announcement on 4 October 1957. However, it was written with lower case letters and not used as a proper name.  Whereas the word “sputnik” was new to most people in the West, it had been around in the Russian language for a long time (in the meanings “co-traveller” and “natural satellite”) and was not intended to be used as a proper name for the satellite. Retrospectively, the first three satellites were named Sputnik-1, Sputnik-2 and Sputnik-3 in the West, but that is not how they were announced by the Soviet Union at the time.

Bart Hendrickx