[FPSPACE] 55 years ago...Symbol of the Cenutry

IVANOVICH Grujica (SW) grujica.ivanovich at ergon.com.au
Thu Apr 14 01:32:18 EDT 2016

For many years generation of kids in Serbia (and other parts of ex-Yugoslavia) have been educated about Gagarin's historic flight (not now).
I still have fresh memories of Gagarin's story from the primary school's textbook, especially his inspirational speech before the launch and description of landing.
Many years later I found there was no actually speech at the launch pad.
Also, that real identity of a woman and her granddaughter who first saw Gagarin at the landing site was different.
And finally that Gagarin, seeing them frightened by his strange appearance could not remove his helmet - as said in the story (Vostok cosmonauts had fixed helmets).

Regards,
Grujica