[FPSPACE] TsNIImash senior scientist Vladimir Lapygin arrested for 'treason'

Michael Launer mklauner at russtechinc.com
Wed Jul 29 22:58:08 EDT 2015

Russia has passed a number of laws recently that are designed to discourage, if not completely stifle, contacts with the West in general and the US in particular. Current restrictions on NGOs are a good example.

As a broad range of situations attest (most notably to Westerners - Khodorkovsky & now Navalny), "law" is a slippery concept in Russia. One can be arrested, tried, and convicted of anything or nothing at all.

Korolev was different. He was one of millions caught up in the GULAG. The scientists were gathered together to continue their studies (under much less salubrious conditions, but better than other political prisoners, who mostly died doing slave labor in Siberia). Best described by Solzhenitsyn in "The First Circle."

MKL

---------------------------------
Michael K. Launer, Ph.D.
Vice President
RussTech Language Services, Inc.
1338 Vickers Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32303-3041
work: 850-562-9811 /  9812
fax: 866-434-9815
home: 850-562-8671
cell: 850-766-3076
e-mail: russtech at russtechinc.com
e-mail: mklauner at russtechinc.com

follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter