[FPSPACE] a question....about Zond 6

Bart Hendrickx bhen at telenet.be
Mon Jul 27 15:58:03 EDT 2015

Returning to the question of when the presence of tortoises on the Zonds was
first revealed, I have a Dutch book published at the end of 1968 (just weeks
after the Zond-5/6 missions) that mentions the  tortoises aboard Zond-5 (but
nothing for Zond-6). This means that (unlike what I wrote yesterday) some
Soviet source must have talked about the tortoises  either during or shortly
after the missions.

The earliest Soviet source for the tortoises that I can find is a yearbook
published by the "Big Soviet Encyclopedia" looking back at events in 1968
(Ezhegodnik BSE, 1969 edition). This devotes several lines to the
post-flight analysis of the animals. No biological payload mentioned here
for Zond-6.

http://epizodsspace.airbase.ru/bibl/ejeg/1969/69.html

Bart Hendrickx