[FPSPACE] Museum Exhibition runs into political (Russian) problems

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Sun Jul 26 13:06:55 EDT 2015

On 7/26/2015 8:59 AM, Peter Pesavento wrote:
[,,,]
> I find it completely shameful that the Russian government is so
> inept/corrupt that it has a dispute with Yukos Oil about who owns
> national Soviet-era space artefacts…..these artefacts on loan to the
> Kensington Museum belong to all Russians, especially the younger
> generations….

I tend to agree with the characterization of the Russian government as
being inept/corrupt, but I'm curious about your characterization of
these artifacts as belonging to "especially the younger generations".
Given that the artifacts in question were funded and produced by Soviet
era citizens, why do the younger, mostly non-Soviet generations,
have an especial claim to ownership?  (For that matter, what about the
non-Russian former Soviet citizens, both within and without the current
borders of the country of Russia?)