[FPSPACE] (about Pluto photo down-transmits)

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Sun Jul 19 10:21:49 EDT 2015

It's a great pity that Voyager was not programmed to fly past Pluto instead of Titan, which would have been in time for the late Tombaugh to enjoy. Its imagery would have increased support to get an earlier start to New Horizons.  But at least our generations have lived to enjoy close-ups of every planet from Mercury to Pluto, the whole of the old solar system.

   What an amazing compliment to US engineers to build a machine that can work without repairs & services for a decade.

- Keith

>>> Geoff Richards  07/19/15 11:51 AM >>>
As I understand it, the last quick-look image comes down on Monday, then all the particles and fields data, which will take to mid-September.  All the imagery, compressed, will take the next two months and finally another year for loss-less imagery.

Geoff