[FPSPACE] Planet Formation and the Origin of Life

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 20:05:40 EST 2015

In order to understand the possible distribution of life in the Universe
it is important to study planet formation and evolution. These processes
are recorded in the chemistry and mineralogy of asteroids and comets,
and in the geology of ancient planetary surfaces in our Solar System.
Evidence can also be seen in the many examples of ongoing planet
formation in nearby regions of our galaxy. In addition, the variety of
observable extra-solar planetary systems provides insight into their
origins and potential for life. This lecture discusses these ideas and
summarize our current understanding of planet formation and the
accompanying processes that may lead to the origin of life throughout
the Universe.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/dante-lauretta/20150209-planet-formation-origin-life.html