[FPSPACE] video from tumbling Progress?

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Tue Apr 28 13:58:55 EDT 2015

On 4/28/2015 10:21 AM, jameseoberg at comcast.net wrote:
> When does the Progress 'lap' ISS and pass beneath it for possible
> dramatic crew visual observation?

Apparently without any orbit-changing maneuvers performed (including the
initial two pre-programmed ones), it happened during the second orbit.

*From: *jameseoberg at comcast.net
> *To: *"fpspace" <fpspace at mail.friends-partners.org> *Sent: *Tuesday,
> April 28, 2015 9:11:19 AM *Subject: *[FPSPACE] video from tumbling
> Progress?
>
> Authentication needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiNjHjpunU

http://www.cbsnews.com/network/news/space/home/spacenews/files/042815_59p_launch.html#unique-entry-id-856
and http://www.spaceflight101.com/progress-m-27m-mission-updates.html
both discuss the video as real.  The second link goes into more detail
about when and how it was received.  On the SeeSat mailing list, Ted
Molczan has calculated a preliminary decay time of between 7 and 9 AM
UTC tomorrow (April 29), though it's not clear to me if that's based on
the initial, apparently too low, perigee reported.  See the
spaceflight101.com link for a discussion of the Progress M-27M orbit,
which indicates a potential launcher issue.