[FPSPACE] Phobos First !!

Charles, John B. (JSC-SA211) john.b.charles at nasa.gov
Sun Apr 19 16:23:48 EDT 2015

Speaking as one of the people who planned the current one year (almost) mission, I can say that it is primarily intended to test whether we are as smart as we think we are based on what we learned from 15 years of 6-month (plus or minus) ISS expeditions. Previous Russian experience shows that there are no "brick walls" out to 14 months. I don't think we will see them even on 30-month Mars missions. But crewmember effectiveness and efficiency will need to be protected by treatments and "countermeasures" now in development and testing on ISS. So, we are evaluating them with this longer mission, hoping to find any "oops" and "uh oh" sooner rather than later.

John Charles
Houston, Texas