[FPSPACE] Phobos First !!

dstdba dstdba at aim.com
Sun Apr 19 12:33:27 EDT 2015

I thought one purpose of year-long stays on ISS was to ascertain that a voyage
to the

vicinity of Mars and back would not require artificial gravity? A landing on
the surface

of Mars would be a different story, of course, due to the likely need for heavy
work.

Science alone does not warrant an expensive manned visit to an asteroid. For
the sake

of preparing us for the deflection of one too close for comfort, we need to
know its

properties. Asteroids come in many sizes, shapes, and flavours. Therefore the
only

meaningful voyage is to one that actually needs deflection!

Were a NEA detection program set up with the objective to map the orbits of all
Near

Earth Asteroids with diameters greater than 50m, the expected number of such
objects

suggests that at least one of those found will be on a collision course with
Earth. There

is a high probability that the effort of paying an early visit to such a object
would be cost-

justified!

--

Jens Kieffer-Olsen