[FPSPACE] Phobos First !!

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Mon Apr 13 15:19:25 EDT 2015

On 4/13/2015 7:46 AM, dstdba wrote:
> In all probability Phobos is a captured asteroid, so no great deal
> really.
>
> And certainly common sense dictates that the sequence of places in
> the solar system for humans to visit is Moon, Martian moons, Mars.

I've certainly heard the theory about Phobos and Deimos being captured
asteroids, although it's somewhat hard to explain how they ended up in
low-eccentricity near-equatorial orbits as a result.  I also agree
either or both Martian moons are a good precursor mission for humans to
undertake prior to a Martian landing, but I don't reject out of hand
visits to NEOs, though I'd rather see more robotic missions beforehand
(including close flybys or orbits, landings, and potentially more sample
returns).