[FPSPACE] Serious contingency plans needed for loss [temporary or otherwise] of Russian ISS effort

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 13:36:18 EDT 2015

IEEE SPECTRUM posted your piece on April 1. But I apologize, that was a silly cheap shot.Did anyone actually take seriously the faster-better-cheaper justifications you mention? I know I never did. ISS was bound to cost more and take longer than the alternative, because the alternative was no space station at all. The real justification for ISS was always geopolitical. You might argue that no station would be better than a station that includes the Russians (although one could equally look at it as a Russian station that includes the Americans - and there were and are Jim Obergs on the other side, too). I, on the other hand, find it inspiring that ISS has been built despite setbacks like early Mir extension shenanigans, COLUMBIA, and the Russian foreign/domestic policy issues you cite and the American foreign/domestic policy issues you don't.dsfp

David S. F. Portree
author

Email:
dsfportree at hotmail.com