[FPSPACE] Serious contingency plans needed for loss [temporary or otherwise] of Russian ISS effort

jameseoberg at comcast.net jameseoberg at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 20:22:42 EDT 2015

Your note is three days late, David. As you have remarked before, the robustness of the partnership has exceeded my expectations, even as all the original promises of it -- faster, cheaper, better -- failed. I did tell you so.

We go forward from where we are, and Kazakh nervousness over possible creeping crimeazation of its ethnically Russian northern provinces remains one of several recognizable time bombs. What steps can we do now to enhance the station's robustness against such potential crises? It's not just Kremlin perfidy we should worry about [and they, vice versa], it's any of a plethora of single-point failures, and at the current configuration, most of those happen to be Russian.