[FPSPACE] Serious contingency plans needed for loss [temporary or otherwise] of Russian ISS effort

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Fri Apr 3 04:46:29 EDT 2015

On the one hand, I am sure that Kazakhstan's eagerness for rent & to avoid conflict with Moscow; & the reliability of Soyuz; the dying down of the Ukrainian war, mean that the ISS team will continue. But on the other hand, without insulting Russia, sheer common sense impels both sides to plan for every emergency & every disaster.

   If the ISS were to be evacuated, & the Russians & Soyuz to be no longer part of the team, then it would make sense to boost the ISS into an orbit about 600 kms up. This means one no longer has to fuss over air friction for some yrs., by which time a new generation of US & ESA launch vehicles means that re-occupation
could proceed. At the cost of less payload, Falcon 9R, Ariane, & the H-IIA could resume servicing ISS.

    If one is going to have a tether, then surely use it to generate electricity & attach an ion drive.

- Keith

>>>  04/03/15 7:20 AM >>>
As my new article makes clear, it's not just Putin perfidy that is a potential threat, it's numerous other technical, industrial, or geo-political single point failures -- making it crucial to have some hip pocket advanced planning already accomplished.

What Happens If Russia Abandons the International Space Station?
By James Oberg
Posted 1 Apr 2015 | 14:00 GMT
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/space-flight/what-happens-if-russia-abandons-the-international-space-station