[FPSPACE] to bring a smile to US faces

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Wed Sep 24 11:32:48 EDT 2014

hi Friends,

   today is a public holiday in South Africa (Heritage Day) & the spring equinox makes this a feasible time to start lekker braais (cookouts-barbeques). When I popped into the nearest convenience shop to get some more soy sauce etc, I was wearing against the cold one of my souvenirs from my 2009 Fulbright year, a NASA beanie & a NASA zip-up with Houston under the NASA logo.

   A middle-aged guy with a weather-beaten face excitedly button-holed me and asked if I worked for the "North American Space Agency". Resisting any Walter Mitty fantasies, I responded that they sell these as tourist souvenirs, & I was just a foreign fan. "Me too" he replied, & went on to celebrate Maven, which had just got a one-sentence news report in Cape Town newspapers.

   So that shows you how many foreigners follow NASA's planetary successes!

- Keith