[FPSPACE] Speaking of Atlas V

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Sat Sep 20 13:37:03 EDT 2014

On 9/20/2014 12:45 PM, David Portree wrote:
> Chris:
>
> Apologies if I wasn't clear - you've entirely missed my point.
>
> Boeing has, by virtue of decades of experience, a realistic sense of
> what it takes to build, test, and operate a piloted spacecraft. So,
> the bid they have to live up to is probably closer to reality than
> the one SpaceX has to live up to.

I think you've missed my point, both in this response and your next,
where you said I totally ignored what you said and simply Boeing-bashed.

I was responding to your implied conclusion that Boeing's long
experience means that they make realistic bids, by providing
counter-examples.  That's not missing the point or ignoring your argument.

> Did you see that the NASA OIG says commercial space will be more
> costly than relying on the Russians and that NASA hasn't budgeted for
> it? It's part of the report on extending ISS use to 2024. There's no
> question that we need a home-grown station ferry capability, but the
> old saw that "commercial" space is bound to be cheaper due to magic
> (or something) is coming under assault even from NASA's internal
> watchdog. I guess that they are part of the anti-SpaceX conspiracy.

Now this I would arguing with a straw man.  As you say, the driving
force behind this contract is not cost, but the desire for a US
capability to launch crews into orbit.  Saying that NASA's cost
estimates are optimistic doesn't sound like an attack on SpaceX to me.
Why don't you consider it equally (or, given the contract sizes, more)
an anti-Boeing conspiracy?