[FPSPACE] Speaking of Atlas V

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 20 12:45:00 EDT 2014

Chris:
Apologies if I wasn't clear - you've entirely missed my point.
Boeing has, by virtue of decades of experience, a realistic sense of what it takes to build, test, and operate a piloted spacecraft. So, the bid they have to live up to is probably closer to reality than the one SpaceX has to live up to.
Did you see that the NASA OIG says commercial space will be more costly than relying on the Russians and that NASA hasn't budgeted for it? It's part of the report on extending ISS use to 2024. There's no question that we need a home-grown station ferry capability, but the old saw that "commercial" space is bound to be cheaper due to magic (or something) is coming under assault even from NASA's internal watchdog. I guess that they are part of the anti-SpaceX conspiracy.
dsfp

David S. F. Portree
author and stuff

Email: