[FPSPACE] wails at media ignorance when they re-uncover old facts

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 19:28:12 EDT 2014

Nah. I won't give 'em a pass.

David S. F. Portree
author and stuff

Email:
dsfportree at hotmail.com
dportree at usgs.gov

Profile:
http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/people/david-portree

Blogs:
http://www.wired.com/category/beyondapollo/
http://theportreelibrary.blogspot.com/
http://altairvi.blogspot.com/

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:51:49 +0200
From: kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
To: fpspace at friends-partners.org
Subject: [FPSPACE] wails at media ignorance when they re-uncover old facts

    Many in this forum are space historians. By definition we consider a fact equally interesting & exciting whether it is SpaceX in 2014, or a satellite in 1964, or Goddard in 1914. We also feel down if we get a fact wrong such as a date, or mass kgs in orbit.

    By contrast, the media consider that most things more than 2 days old are stale, hence boring and uninteresting.  A-bombs on the Moon, or a NASA Administrator sex scandal, is likely to excite them far more than google scholar, or reading Encyclopedia Astronautix & other websites maintained as a labour of love by some members of FPSPACE.   Least of all do they like admitting that something they have just stumbled across was published a decade or a quarter century ago. The internet rarely covers media & ephemera prior to the 1990s unless someone had a budget to scan it in & digitalize it.

   Let us just be grateful that media attention was not confined to astrology, nor flying saucers, nor conspiracy theories.

- Keith