[FPSPACE] wails at media ignorance when they re-uncover old facts

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Thu Sep 18 11:51:49 EDT 2014

    Many in this forum are space historians. By definition we consider a fact equally interesting & exciting whether it is SpaceX in 2014, or a satellite in 1964, or Goddard in 1914. We also feel down if we get a fact wrong such as a date, or mass kgs in orbit.

    By contrast, the media consider that most things more than 2 days old are stale, hence boring and uninteresting.  A-bombs on the Moon, or a NASA Administrator sex scandal, is likely to excite them far more than google scholar, or reading Encyclopedia Astronautix & other websites maintained as a labour of love by some members of FPSPACE.   Least of all do they like admitting that something they have just stumbled across was published a decade or a quarter century ago. The internet rarely covers media & ephemera prior to the 1990s unless someone had a budget to scan it in & digitalize it.

   Let us just be grateful that media attention was not confined to astrology, nor flying saucers, nor conspiracy theories.

- Keith