[FPSPACE] Cold war on cold Moon

Robert Reeves reeves10 at satx.rr.com
Thu Sep 18 08:30:26 EDT 2014

Nothing really new in this article.  Kidnaping the Luna 3 display, plans for nuclear explosions on the Moon, by both the US and USSR,
these are well known Space Race items within the space history community.  If they wanted some fun, I guess they could have mentioned how Carl Sagan nearly got his nickers in a jam by once citing a classified document he helped author regarding the earlier nuke the moon idea.

And I object to the illustration showing Gagarin and others looking at some photos.  the caption reads “first pictures of the Moon taken by Luna 1 in 1961”.  Three mistakes with one sentence!  Gagarin and company are probably looking at Luna 9 surface panoramas.

Robert Reeves

 http://www.newsweek.com/2014/09/26/plan-nuke-moon-and-other-cold-war-plots-revealed-secret-documents-271088.html