[FPSPACE] Pam Am flights to the Moon

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 10:25:30 EDT 2014

Keith,

Even though it is spelled that way in the article, the airline name was
"Pan Am", short for Pan American Airways, not "Pam".  I think its origin
was that because it was so dominate in its early years, it would become
the world-wide (pan) American airline.  It was thelargest international
airline<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline> in the United States from
1927 until it died in bankruptcy in 1991. The first jet I flew on was a
Pan Am 707 from JFK to Bermuda.  Pan Am flew its clipper flying boats
around the world, got the first 707's, the first 747's, etc.  And do you
remember the name on the spacecraft flying up to the space station in
the movie 2001?  Bad management decisions, and some ruthless competition
slowly shut it out of some of the more lucrative routes.  I remember
seeing a cargo version coming in one day, and thinking what a sad end to
such a magnificent airline.  I have often thought that it would be great
for someone to purchase the name rights and apply it to a giant
successful merger so that the Pan Am name could live on.

Dave