[FPSPACE] Echoes of the N-1.....

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Sat Nov 22 19:26:28 EST 2014

On 11/22/2014 6:29 PM, Peter Pesavento wrote:
> The next mission of the Falcon 9 there will be the (experimental
> test) deployment of hypersonic grid fins for control (to be deployed
> during return, in an effort to see if these can provide sustainable
> control, each individually controlled for pitch/yaw/roll).  When I
> saw the attached photograph (at the provided URL link) on my Twitter
> feed from Elon Musk, I instantly recognized what the things were, and
> where I saw them before…
>
> Echoes of the N-1….
>
> http://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/536258543675252739/photo/1

They look to me more like the speed brakes on the Soyuz (part of the
LES) because they are folded up, although those are meant for braking,
where these are designed for control (I think the N-1's acted more like
fins in that they were a form of passive rather than active control).  I
believe that pictures of the (never-built) UR-700 showed similar (to the
N-1) stabilizing