[FPSPACE] trouble-shooting ahead - the James Webb

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 15:28:51 EST 2014

Keith,

I think one of the reasons that James Webb it is not going to be fully
deployed in LEO is that the thermal foil shields are so thin, and as a
result they might tear as the spacecraft was accelerated out of Earth
orbit, no matter how slowly.  I do agree, that it is a shame that it and
other spacecraft, once deployed so far away, are then out of reach for a
repair mission.  Think of the Galileo Jupter orbiter and the Kepler
extra-solar planets hunter as examples.

Dave