[FPSPACE] The Myth of space shuttle retirement and space station - was Re: Here's a question

Zeger Nuyens dokter.nuyens at telenet.be
Sat Nov 15 13:28:17 EST 2014

John Charles wrote:

> Interesting observation, except:
>
> (1) The shuttle did in fact deposit 21 astronauts aboard ISS, then depart, returning later to retrieve them, 13 times in 2001-2003 and 2007-2009. Not counting the Exp 6 crew launched on Shuttle and landed on Soyuz after Columbia disaster, or the crew launched on Soyuz and landed on Shuttle (Exp 1). Not the same as a lifeboat capability, but definitely "live" not "visit".
>
> (2) Griffin reminded Congress every year that the Shuttle-retirement clock was ticking. Let's give him due credit.
  I wasn't going to comment any further on this matter but since you did:
And yes,exactly the shuttle served to bring people up to the ISS and we
were lucky to have the shuttle still around after 2006 otherwise we
would have been without any capability to launch our people not for 4
years but for 8 years and still counting.