[FPSPACE] Philae Lander Historic Touchdown on Rosetta Comet

Geert Sassen geertsassen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 04:06:48 EST 2014

Slightly more news this morning it seems, at least according twitter. It
seems the lander bounced and landed 3 times, possibly moving hundreds of
meters. CIVA panoramic pictures were taken automatically within 5
minutes of landing and according rumors resulted in only unintelligble
blurred images or completely black images as the lander was moving and
bouncing around.

@Philae_MUPUS:
[their instrument(s) confirm the 3 bounce data]
Good morning #cometlanding! Short status update: we believe that Philae
bounced (possibly 3 times) but sits safely on the comet now.
we need images and radio link to learn more. several Philae instruments
got nice data (Cosac, Concert, Ptolemy, RoMap, Rolis) #cometlanding.
Will tweet news as they come in. Stay tuned. #cometlanding

@chrislintott:
Stable signal from @Philae2014, images from ÇIVA received and some broad
smiles around ESOC. Not anchored to surface #CometLanding

@RosettaSD2:
Unfortunately no drilling today: we first need to understand where we
landed and how we landed. Today is critical @Philae2014 @ESA_Rosetta