[FPSPACE] Philae Lander Historic Touchdown on Rosetta Comet

Dirk Devlies dirk.devlies at telenet.be
Wed Nov 12 16:02:33 EST 2014

Hi

Or maybe, as is written on
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11/12/rosetta-and-philae-go-for-separation,
there was nothing to pus the lander on the ground and the harpoons to get in
the ground.

"At touchdown, landing gear will absorb the forces of the landing while ice
screws in each of the probe’s feet and a harpoon system will lock Philae to
the surface. At the same time, the thruster on top of the lander is supposed
to push it down to counteract the impulse of the harpoon imparted in the
opposite direction.

“The cold gas thruster on top of the lander does not appear to be working so
we will have to rely fully on the harpoons at touchdown,”says Stephan
Ulamec, Philae Lander Manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center."

Kind greetings

Dirk Devlies