[FPSPACE] on Virgin Galactic

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Wed Nov 5 05:18:13 EST 2014

Yes,

    If, repeat IF, it was the case that the feathering system was the problem, I imagine that safety engineers could pose questions such as:

    If the physical force caused by the feathering system increases above the level which threatens the spacecraft's structural integrity, is there an automatic device or programme which may reverse the deployment of the feathering system?

     Of course, hindsight is easier than foresight. I point no fingers, no witch-hunt. High emotions cannot substitute for waiting until the technical investigation is complete. The first facts  & claims to emerge in any aerospace or sub tragedy are often not the final facts or claims to be proven.

yours, Keith.

>>> On 2014/11/05 at 11:33 AM, in message <6BF2FAC2AA624793B303C6F4DAF6E5EB at SVEMPAZDator>, "Sven Grahn" <svengrahn at bahnhof.se> wrote:

Very thoughtful, Keith. I would just like to add an observation about the present debate. Some commentators say that Virdin G and Scaled have a cavalier attitude toward safety. I have met Virgin managers and engineers over a period of nine years and my imporession is the opposite. I have gone to dinner parties where VG employees started quarreling at the dinner table over safety issues! Of course, awareness of the importance of safety and the ability to do something about it are two different things. My comment only refers to the attitude of the people I have met

Interestingly, at the Wired NEXTFEST 2006 in NYC where the cabin layout of SS2 was revealed I was approached by the husband of one of the persons that had signed up to fly. He wondered if I felt that the feathering system is safe. He was worried about the safety of his wife and clearly had identifed the very novel feature of SS2. I wonder how feels today?

Sven