[FPSPACE] Spaceflight is a dangerous business

dstdba dstdba at aim.com
Mon Nov 3 07:28:24 EST 2014

A one-way ticket to Mars is not in itself a stupid idea, if you agree that
mankind

has in fact business to do on the Red Planet.

Of course there are a few preconditions. The first one is that return journeys

are on the drawing board, such that the one-way ticket could optionally be

labelled an open return ticket. and that regular deliveries of cargo are

guaranteed in the meantime.

The other precondition in my view is that the concept is tested on the Moon

first. What is to hinder a Moon base being staffed and supported in exactly

the same way?

Whether on Mars or on the Moon the open return ticket enables manned

presence to materialize several years earlier than would otherwise happen,

and likely at lower rather than higher risk to the participants.

--

Jens Kieffer-Olsen

Slagelse, Denmark