[FPSPACE] Spaceflight is a dangerous business

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 01:24:28 EDT 2014

Absolutely, but spaceflight can be made safer through good design. The more boring a design is, the safer it tends to be. Novel concepts invite catastrophe. SpaceShip Two is pretty, but its design and operational characteristics are complex.
The Space Shuttle was also a novel design. We hyped it & spun it and eventually Challenger forced us to face the bald fact that it was so complex and contained so many design compromises that flying it could never be routine.
Some people have developed the peculiar notion that, because inexperienced private entities are developing spacecraft, often with novel features, the hard facts of spaceflight do not and will not apply. My hope is that this week's twin accidents will serve as a wake-up call.
It's not enough to say "spaceflight is dangerous." What we need to say is "spaceflight is dangerous - so are our designs and schemes realistic?"

David S. F. Portree
author and stuff

Email:
dsfportree at hotmail.com