[FPSPACE] ex-rsa chief popovkin has died

Bart Hendrickx bhen at telenet.be
Wed Jun 18 17:14:38 EDT 2014

Izvestiya quotes a Roskosmos official (Denis Lyskov) as saying that Popovkin’s disease (cancer) was most likely brought on by his exposure to toxic fumes after the Proton crash last July.

http://izvestia.ru/news/572644

“At the moment of the launch we were in a bunker several hundred kilometers from the launch pad. After the explosion of the rocket we remained in the bunker for a while until we received information that the air outside was safe to breathe. Vladimir Aleksandrovich [Popovkin] was the first to leave the bunker, he ordered his driver out of the car,  jumped in the car himself and drove to the crash site without taking any protective measures. He felt personally responsible for what had happened and simply didn’t think of protecting himself.

…

When Vladimir Aleksandrovich got ill, doctors concluded that the disease had been triggered by the hydrazine cloud. Asked later by his colleagues what he would have done if  he had known that his health would be jeopardized like that, he always answered that he would have done exactly the same …  It was very important to act quickly at that moment. In fact he sacrificed himself.”

Bart Hendrickx