[FPSPACE] Question about Zond circumlunar series

Geert Sassen geertsassen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 00:42:53 EDT 2013

According to 'Challenge to Apollo pg 663, 701, 743 Zond spacecraft nr 1-11
were designed for automatic flight and not human-rated so I guess they
didn't carry the designed life support system either (although they
probably carried some simplified system for the turtles). The later craft
were man-rated and fully functional, however they were launched out of
sequence.
Zond-6 was spacecraft 7K-LI nr 12 and thus human-rated, Zond-7 was
spacecraft nr. 11 but it was modified to carry the same equipment as the
man-rated crafts, and Zond-8 was spacecraft nr. 14.

Zond-4 and 5 were only designed for automatic flight.

Kind regards,

Geert Sassen.

--
Geert Sassen