[FPSPACE] ]Fwd: ****** ******* ********* *.*.********

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Fri Oct 4 07:19:16 EDT 2013

Dear Jim O,

   Kamanin might be the one who gave a verbal instruction.

   Another possibility is that it might have been a quite low-level
decision.

  Let me explain what I have in mind through an analogy that Americans
could understand. Suppose, that during the 1960s or 1970s,  Boeing or
Lockheed or Martin Marietta or General Dynamics managers order their
in-house PR dept & photographer to compile a commemorative book or
booklet on their most recent decade of corporate space activities.

     So their in-house photographer assembles photos from staff
parties, etc. He will be sure to select one or more photos which include
his boss, smiling. Next, the photographer chats to secretaries & others,
so he can name all the people in the photo in the captions. One of the
office staff tell him that X was subsequently fired for being in a
drunken altercation with the guards at the front entrance, & Y was asked
to resign for some reason that no one recalls.

   Some photographers would just shrug, or laugh, & run the photos
anyway.

    But we've all met those individuals amongst our colleagues who
"don't want trouble", or are sycophantic, hoping for a bonus from their
boss. If such a person found the ONLY photos archived which included his
boss also had included someone fired, he would crop the photo, or think
of some other pre-digital way to remove that "embarrassment". Maybe he
would position a rectangular insert of an absent team engineer, so that
it obscured the face he didn't want, etc.

      A Soviet organization of the 1960s-70s was more authoritarian &
hierarchical than most US contemporaries, so there might be a higher
proportion of sycophancy & cringing than abroad.

   I occasionally hurt my own career by being a bit too non-conformist
for that time & place. Other individuals were at the opposite extreme,
with unnecessary creeping & cringing.

    In short - there's more than one possibility, & Mr. Anonymous
Censor could be high-ranked, or low-ranking.  A toast to Winston Smith
in 1984?

with warm regards, Keith.

>>> On 2013/10/04 at 12:45 PM, in message
<2DAC61DA321444F0B0C31FA36763E142 at owner8755e88ed>, "James Oberg"
<jameseoberg at comcast.net> wrote:

Dear Jakob:

The detail I hope to learn someday is Kamanin's role [if any]
in the photo forgeries which removed Nelyubov and other failed
candidates
from group photographs. I suspect Kamanin as the 'most likely' author
of this
policy, but I am puzzled by lack of any mention in his diaries. Please
keep an eye open
for that one historical question. Spasibo!!

Jim O