[FPSPACE] need personal comments on comfort of Sokol suit

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Sun Mar 10 10:39:19 EDT 2013

It looks like it will be wise for the crews, as with medical procedures, to abstain from eating or drinking from 18 hrs before lift-off, & confine themselves to only sips of water.
- Keith

>>> On 2013/03/09 at 02:52 PM, in message <09FD682E2A0A495BB24D6604B26C7ED0 at owner8755e88ed>, "James Oberg" <jameseoberg at comcast.net> wrote:

The Russians are about to inaugurate the 'fast rendezvous'
plan for the Soyuz, this month, and I've written about it
already for IEEE's 'Spectrum' magazine here:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/space-flight/russia-tests-quick-trip-to-space-station

One drawback is the crew has to stay in their 'Sokol' suits for the total
period, 4 revs, with a duration pre-launch to doffing of about ten hours -- and
on-orbit, mostly confined to their seats.

What can anyone tell me concerning crew comfort [or non-comfort] issues this brings up?

How much relief do crewmembers feel when after only a couple of hours they are able
to get out of the suits and float around in flight clothes?

This is for an article for the NBC News space website. Thanks!